Globalisation and digitalisation have combined to make today’s business climate more competitive than ever before. Nowadays, you’re not just competing with your local rivals, but also those on the other side of the world. How can you stay ahead of the chasing pack? By leveraging the power of big data to optimise your business.
As a market leading suite of business analytics tools, Microsoft Power BI can help you sift through the masses of data at your disposal and create reports, dashboards and actionable insights to help your business grow. This exciting new technology offers incredible potential – but can confuse those unfamiliar with its extensive capabilities.
This handy guide was created by the Microsoft Power BI specialists here at silverlimes to help you understand what it is, what it’s used for and how it can propel your company to the forefront of your chosen industry.
So, what is Microsoft Power BI exactly?
Microsoft Power BI offers its users a raft of business intelligence services, all based in the cloud. Primarily, the platform assists in the collection, preparation and interpretation of big data, allowing you to gather information from an unprecedented number of sources, collate it into easy-to-read formats and make sense of the raw numbers.
With an intuitive interface and easy-to-use tools, even those who are not trained in data science can draw up interpretative reports and insightful dashboards, presenting the information a way that’s simple to grasp at a glance. In turn, this can help you to identify the areas where your business is performing well and, crucially, those which require improvement.
What is Microsoft Power BI used for?
At heart, Microsoft Power BI is a data analytics tool – but its actual uses can encompass a wide variety of different purposes. Not only does the platform make it easier than ever to gather data in real-time from an extensive number of sources, but it also enables users to interpret that data in ways that they simply could not before.
It’s this ability to assimilate various data streams into one manageable control centre and craft reports and dashboards off their own back which makes Microsoft Power BI such an attractive proposition. By gifting business owners with the ability to identify actionable insights from the data at their fingertips – even when they don’t have a background in such matters – Microsoft Power BI can make a company self-sufficient, dynamic and enterprising in one fell swoop.
What are Microsoft Power BI services?
Microsoft Power BI comprises a sprawling set of tools and services, which rely primarily on data acquisition and interpretation. Here are some of the key components which users can expect to benefit from when signing up to the system:
- Power BI Desktop. This desktop application runs off Windows on PCs and laptops. Free to use, it offers a raft of tools which can help you to access data from a startling number of sources and compile it into attractive dashboards and reports using sophisticated data modelling tools.
- Power BI Pro. Power BI Pro is the next step up from Power BI Desktop and offers expanded capabilities for a modest monthly fee. As well as the data modelling tools available in the previous package, Pro also allows you to quickly and easily share your insights across the whole team, helping to establish a data-driven culture in your workplace.
- Power BI Premium. Power BI Premium is the superior package offered by Microsoft, equipped with the fastest and most flexible tools they have to offer. It gifts an unprecedented amount of autonomy and self-sufficiency to each member of your team, representing the ideal choice for larger and wealthier businesses.
- Power BI Mobile. As the name suggests, Power BI Mobile offers unparalleled versatility across all devices, meaning users can access data and use apps regardless of the type of device they favour. This allows you to achieve connection and interaction remotely from anywhere, anytime and on any device.
- Power BI Embedded. Power BI Embedded is perfect for business owners who wish to integrate the tools offered by Power BI into their own legacy applications. This can aid in the automation of data monitoring and management, integrating your analytical capabilities with your operational ones like never before.
- Power BI Report Server. The Power BI Report Server offers the ability to keep your data analytics reporting infrastructure within your own company firewall by bringing everything inhouse. Your BI environment is kept on premises, meaning you can govern the way in which your data is stored, handled and interpreted on your own terms.
- Power BI Gateway. In order to streamline the flow of data into and out of your Power BI environment, you’ll need to set up gateways between the platform and the sources of the data themselves. Power BI Gateway gives you the ability to do this.
- Power BI Visuals Marketplace. Visualising your data is all-important when it comes to identifying strengths and weaknesses, then communicating those to the decision-makers in your company. Power BI Visuals Marketplace is an online repository of thousands of customised visuals and R-powered visuals, giving you complete control over how your data appears.
That’s a brief peek behind the curtain of what kinds of services Microsoft BI Power can bring to your business, but the actual value that each of those tools holds will differ from company to company. Understanding what the platform can do for you specifically is paramount to unlocking its potential – and your own in the process.
Take advantage of Microsoft Power BI today
Are you serious about embracing the limitless potential of big data and harnessing its power for your business? It’s time to get in touch with silverlimes. As experienced Microsoft Power BI specialists comfortable with this exciting new platform, we’re here to help you leverage its abilities to your advantage.
Why not get in touch with us today? We can work alongside you to pinpoint the ways in which Power BI can most benefit you and your company, then put in place a plan aimed towards achieving the success that you deserve. Give us a call on 0116 319 4402 or send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a free, no-obligation consultation today.